Have completed initial rough editing (i.e. cutting code-like stuff and hopeless posts) from 1865-2006. Bugging me how many posts got truncated in moves/exports/migrations/??? Without fail, if there is a comment such as, “That last paragraph was the best thing you ever wrote,” the last paragraph is missing.
Tag Archives: book
The book, Little-Known Facts About Various Marine-Dwelling Animals, is being released today. It is written by me and illustrated by Bran. I know some really critical people and they like both the texts and the illustrations.
You can read a little more about the book here. You can also order the book online from that page, and there is a flickr slide show of all the covers so far. There is some variety, and if you have any preferences you can let me know, but orders will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis so there is no guarantee you will get the exact book you want.
Only 50, give or take a couple, copies of this hand-bound first edition will be produced. So you might want to order soon.
There is a flickr set showing the covers etc here.
The book is 82 pages, unnumbered, and chock full of neat illustrations by Bran.
The price is €16, which is about $23.50 depending on exchange rates, and includes shipping and handling to anywhere in the world.
Any nice comments may be posted in the comments to this post. Any questions etc should probably be mailed to metamorphosist (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!
Since some people were asking:
- The book (Little-Known Facts) is back from the printer
- I am currently binding it by hand
- Bookbinding is a lot more work than I expected (the red thread never wants to go through the needle, the other colors are okay)
- But also fun
- I am working on a site (page) where you can order and pay online, using Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards, I think
- This also requires me to set a price, and decide how to handle postage
- Despite my tendency towards unnecessary complication (every one of the books has a different cover (I will be posting pictures soon)), I’d like to do this latter as simply as possible.
- Some of the covers, so far, are made of Japanese paper. Some are made from handmade watercolor paper. Some of the latter are colored by me. Some are embossed with a fish. Some have an imitation gold-leaf fish on them. One has a genuine gold-leaf fish, and paw prints.
- Last night I carved a squid mold from some linoleum to emboss some with a giant squid. Gamma thought it looked cool. Alpha likes the fish better (she also thinks I’m overdoing this). Something for everyone.
- More soon. I hope to have the order page online by the start of next week.
In time for holiday shoppers, I am planning to make a book of around 2 dozen “Little-known facts” pieces previously published on this weblog. It will be professionally printed on off-white paper and hand-bound by me in the traditional Japanese stab binding style. I’m running to the art supply store this Friday to look for some nice paper for the covers. The format will be roughly 8″ square, and if the current layout is maintained it will be around 50-60 pages long, with illustrations.
I may also include a bonus surprise in each book, but not sure about that yet.
I would charge around ten Euro per book, which is about 14 U.S. dollars at current rates of exchange, plus postage. Payment would probably have to be via Paypal, unless someone trusts me with cash or has a better idea.
I have a figure in my mind, a certain number of books I would produce. They would be numbered individually. What I would like to know from you is if my number is high or low. How many of you would be interested in buying how many copies of this book?